CLEAN SLATE is an environmental health initiative for independent schools in response to the recent pandemic. It focuses on three dimensions of campuses: custodial, operations, and facilities. The goal of this program is to inform schools of best practices as they develop, following these unprecedented events, help implement them as needed, and provide schools with communications tools that will help them reassure constituents.
Meeting student, staff, and parental expectations of your school’s cleaning and sterilizing practices will help instill confidence in the campus as a safe place for their children. At the heart, CLEAN SLATE is a thoughtful, well-researched cleaning and sanitizing specification that is customized to your campus. It may be executed by your cleaning staff, your third party contractor, or through a formal RFP for which a special contractor can be selected. As is our firm's custom, we can assist in the procurement, implementation, and quality assurance process. It will include protocols for contingent response actions in the event of exposures of spaces and people to contagions in the future.
Learning to live with social distancing has been a challenge for all of us. The implications to your campus operations will alter the very fabric of who you are as schools and challenge business models. CLEAN SLATE includes a thorough review of your campus readiness for learning and developing students, while protecting your school community, both students and staff alike. What technologies work for tracking and detecting respiratory viruses and which ones are unproven? What operational adjustments to student, parent, and campus visitor traffic flow need to be considered? Are we prepared for distance learning long term? How will reassignment of spaces and program changes affect key responsibilities of the facilities staff? These are just a few of the hundreds of questions and topics that your peers are facing and we are helping them address.
In order to protect facilities users in the event of recurring exposure threats, campuses may need to be reconfigured for medical testing, isolation of potentially infected individuals, and to maintain social distancing. At the same time, as with facility security, we want to remain welcoming, warm, and hospitable. How can campuses gain valuable program space that accommodates the students in a safe manner? How can outdoor spaces be used more effectively? Where will lunch be served to remain safe and promote community? A review of buildings and how the current space is being utilized will be imperative to understanding solution options. CLEAN SLATE draws on Building Solutions' 30-year practice in all matters of facilities and campus operations and with its architectural and planning partners, will share what’s working and what’s not at peer institutions.
Interested in learning more about CLEAN SLATE? Watch our 5 minute introductory video (below), download this brochure, learn about our Respiratory Health Advisory Council, and contact us today. We also have some researched articles and in-house produced research below for your reference.
Researched External and In-House Produced Articles
BUILDING SOLUTIONS AUTHORED
- Ventilation is the Foundation
- Why Flush Your Facilities Piping?
- COVID 19 Sanitizing (Part 1 of 2)
- COVID 19 Sanitizing (Part 2 of 2)
- EPA approves a virus-killing coating for American Airlines
- Fever checks-C19
- CDC Reopening Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting Public Spaces
- CDC Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting
- How Exactly Do You Catch Covid-19-WSJ
- Electrostatic Cleaning
- **new** Senate Bill Aims for School IAQ Upgrades
- **new** K-12 School Opening Tracker
- New Dashboard Tracks Coronavirus Cases In Schools
- Coronavirus transmission heightens concerns surrounding ventilation in schools
- 20 Questions to Ask
- Reopening Checklists (sample)
- Health and Safety Policy (sample)
- CDC Considerations for K12 Schools
- TEA C19 Health Guide 20-21
- Personnel Advisory on Reopening Schools
- C19 Waiver Sample
- Cook Children's Recommendations
- GSES Summer Program Safe Practices
- Shipley School-Safe Practice Policy
- BOC Reopening Buildings after Shutdown
- U.S. Secret Service- An Analysis of Target School Violence
- U.S. Secret Service- A Guide to Managing Threatening Situations and Creating Safe School Climates
- U.S. Secret Service- Implications for the Prevention of School Attacks in the United States
- U.S. Secret Service- Information Students Learn May Prevent a Target Attack
- Reopening Checklist (NBOA membership required to view)
- Nine Ways Schools Will Look Different
- CDC School reopening
- Considerations for reopening following the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Returning to the Workplace
- Report Offers Blueprint for Reopening Schools and Beyond
- Reopening for Business: Safer Steps
- C19 Catapults Indoor Air Quality to Top of The List for Business Reopening
- LEOADALY_Relative Humidity
- Damp Bldgs-Human Health-HVAC Design
- Reopening Schools-Risk Reduction Strategies
- Post C19-10 Strategies
- Univ-Illinois Building Services Guidance
- UConn Reentry Recommend
- OSHA Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- Water System Flushing
- Coronavirus survives longer in low temps, high humidity
- After Coronavirus, Legionnaires Concern
- ASHRAE & CDC Guidelines
- Bipolar Ionization
- HVAC and Air Filtration in Response to COVID-19 (Building Solutions White Paper)
- Johns Hopkins University of Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center
Watch this introductory video about CLEAN SLATE:
A replay of our May 1st webinar can be seen here.
A replay of our May 5th webinar can be seen here.
A replay of our July 9th Indoor Air Quality webinar can be seen here.
Learn about C19 Contact Tracing Training from one of our associates here.