DIRECTOR OF CONSTRUCTION
The Director supervises the Department personnel, including Senior Associates, Associates, Analysts (Project Engineers) and Interns who are performing and supporting project management services as Owner Representatives (aka Project Manager/Construction Manager-Advisor) on construction and development projects.
The Director develops processes and tools, is ultimately responsible for effective delivery of services by this department, and for meeting goals of departmental profitability set out by the Company.
In addition, the Director oversees all cost estimating and scheduling for the Company on its construction projects, and in the capacity, will often be the project lead during the pre-construction phases of projects and support sales in converting prospects to clients.
The Director may also directly serve as Project Manager on selected projects and in that capacity has the same accountabilities as the Senior Associates who are reporting to the Director.
The Director reports to the Sr. Vice President/COO. This position manages Senior Associates, Associates, Analysts (Project Engineers), and Interns. Department Directors are promoted to Vice President, as they develop and the company grows.
• Leads the department: coaches and teaches Senior Associates, Associates, Project Engineers and Interns to manage capital projects with technical competence, understanding of role as owner advocate, and attitude that promotes teamwork
• Prepares or oversees preparation of all cost estimates and schedules
• Leads delivery of preconstruction services: team selection, estimating, monitoring A/E services, information gathering, presentations, communication with cities, clients, boards
• Develops department processes and tools that will establish uniformity, quality, and efficiency of all service delivery throughout project life cycles
• With sales/marketing and company leadership, may lead efforts in securing specifically identified projects and support others in securing new projects including presentations to committee
• Measures productivity of the department, determines needs for additional department resources, and guides the Company in meeting those needs with staff, process, or technology
• Ascertains value addition associated with Company’s services on each project and teaches department personnel how to identify, measure, and track such value-add accomplishments
• Supports staff development by interviewing and selecting prospective employees, hiring, onboarding, training, and evaluating department employees
• Identifies professional development needs of the department and arranges for training
• Develops familiarity with construction markets and resources outside DFW to manage projects
• Leadership qualities
• Verbal communication and listening skills to educate, lead, persuade—internally and externally
• Writes clearly and concisely, adapts to the audience/readers
• Experience with A/E perspective: roles, practices, codes, communications, documentation
• Experience with contractor perspective: procurement, controls, sequences, quality measures
• General understanding of zoning and permitting practices
• Knowledge of construction safety practices
• Familiarity with industry standard contracts for architects and contractors
• Has successfully worked on projects requiring direct contact with inexperienced clients
• Knowledge and proficiency in using Word, Excel, MS Project, project software, RS Means
• Familiarity with basic construction cost estimating and scheduling techniques
Experience and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Architecture, Engineering, Construction
• >20 years of experience in project management or construction administration in a contracting organization
• 3 – 5 years of experience in management of a department or profit center
• Enthusiastic user of technology
• Physically able to climb, lift, carry, walk substantial distances, work in all weather conditions
• Willingness to travel as needed
Submit your resume.
Direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only applicants being interviewed will be contacted. All replies will be treated with the highest level of discretion. Building Solutions is an equal opportunity employer.